Monday, August 17, 2009

Great American Trails blog post/ PA Wilds

PA WILDS Bugle Boys

A few minutes ago I checked the outdoor thermometer - 102 degrees. This is the point in summer when I feel like a deflated tire with barely enough pressure to wobble home. The Texas Hill Country is accommodating in winter (not to mention spring and fall), but who wants to wait for winter? I need a respite, a break from this Austin blast furnace.
I could head west, to the Rockies. But with this insufferable Texas drought I am ready to see something green, verdant. There is simply too much desert between me and those mountains. My compass is pointing east, toward the Appalachian Divide. The Blue Ridge will be jammed, and I would prefer an area with more birds than people. The Adirondacks will be packed as well, and New Jersey? No offense, but I have never caught the Wildswoods fever. No, my bags are packed for Pennsylvania.

read MORE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment